Monday, October 25, 2010

October Monthly Circle Challenge Entry

First of all, I can't tell you how awesome the Circle has been for me.  I LOVE scraping and crafting, but I have a really hard time sharing my projects with others.  I guess I just don't think my work is something worth showing off. I know that isn't true, but I have discovered that isn't really the point of these challenges. To me, it is about dusting off my Cricut and making a point of creating something different each week that isn't tied to some project I'm already working on.  Like cooking, we tend to use the same recipes in crafting too.  These challenges make us think outside our normal "recipe box."

For the montly challenge, it really wasn't about a scrapbook page, which is generally what I work on.  We had to do something around being creative or in my entry's case, encouraging creativity.  My mother, who had more creativity in her little finger than most people have in their whole body, nurtured her creativity every day.  She had so many little projects going all the time and she was constantly thinking of ways to do more.  She read magazines, took classes, talked to other crafters constantly and, most importantly, she showed her work to everyone.  I never realized what she was doing until I started doing the challenges.  The way she shared her crafts was a challenge to find what pleased other people.  She really wanted to get good enough to start selling jewelry, but sadly, she passed away before she had a chance to fully develop that craft. She did however, spend many years selling handmade leather and knitted items. 

I never want to make a business selling crafts, but I do want to continue nurture my creativity.  Thus, the new sign that will hang over my craft desk.  I made it with butterflies from Serenade and the frame is also from Serenade, I believe.  The letters are from Calligraphy and the little crocheted flowers are from SEI.  I purposely didn't line up the letters perfectly because I wanted that handmade look.

At least one shadow feature - the letters are shadowed in cream cardstock

Embellishments to enhance one of the cuts - the butterflies have been glittered and decorated with rhinestones.

Patterned paper - background paper has a faint script pattern that is very hard to see in this picture.

So, thank you for looking and I love your sweet comments.  You all really make my day!

Jodie

7 comments:

  1. That is so Beautiful! Your mother would be so proud of you. Thank you for sharing your inspiration. Good luck!

    Marian Gr

    ReplyDelete
  2. WhoooooHoooooo, you won the MS punch give-away!

    Please send me an e-mail w/ your mailing information! Go to my blog & click on my "e-mail" button. (green w/ a ladybug on top) on my side-bar.

    http://ladybuglair.blogspot.com/

    Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodie, I loved reading your blog, the picture is beautiful. Butterflies are always so lifting. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodie, that's beautiful!!! Your mother would be so proud of you -- and never doubt your crafting talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Jodie for the sweet words! This is great and I just LOVE the Circle and I'm so glad you like it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jodie, contact KarelJ at ksjennings(at)gmail(dot)com and she can verify the winner list. If she has not been contacted by Monday, November 15, another winner will be chosen.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me! I love reading each one. Thank you!

Jodie